Do you skip the “most important meal of the day”? Some people are on time-constricted eating schedules, while others simply don’t like eating first thing in the morning. There’s a lot to be said for skipping breakfast, but the facts are clear–eating a healthy breakfast can reduce your appetite later in the day, reduce unhealthy food choices and even help with sleep.
Making the decision to eat breakfast is a great start, but just like any meal, choosing the right items for your plate makes a big difference. A stack of pancakes simply doesn’t hold a fork to eggs, yogurt or even bacon. Focusing on a higher-protein breakfast can have a multitude of health benefits, many of which focus around having the proper energy to expend throughout the day. That can promote muscle growth, weight loss, hormone management and even curb your cravings for unhealthy foods.
So, how can you start adding more protein to your diet first thing in the morning? Here are a few, easy ways to give your breakfast a bigger punch:
- EGGS: Frittatas or Omelets
- DAIRY: Greek yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Cheese, Smoothies
- PORK: Bacon, Sausage, Ham
- PLANTS: Bean burrito, Hummus, Tofu
- NUTS/SEEDS: Almonds, Walnuts, Nut butters, Pumpkin seeds
- OATS: Overnight oats with nuts and milk
- PROTEIN POWDER: Add in smoothies or oatmeal