With beets now showing up more frequently on the stand at your local farmer’s market and with citrus fruits becoming more available at your local grocery store, this Fennel, Beet, and Orange Salad with a cumin vinaigrette will be the perfect side dish since it has a nice contrast of textures and flavors and is rich in folate, potassium, vitamin C, fiber, manganese, and riboflavin.
- 2 medium beets, roasted peeled, halved and cut in thin half-moons
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed, quartered, cored and sliced very thin across the grain
- 1 navel orange, peeled, pith cut away, and cut in thin rounds or sections
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- ¼teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon lightly toasted cumin seeds, crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, puréed (optional)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine beets, fennel, orange slices or medallions, mint and cilantro in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together lemon or lime juice, sugar, cumin, salt, optional garlic and olive oil. Toss with the salad and serve.
Nutritional information per serving:
134 calories; 9 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 7 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 13 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 72 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 2 grams protein