Excited for Thanksgiving and the holiday season, but nervous about the thought of derailing your diet and exercise goals? No need to fear! Our NYC RD, Paige, has plenty of tips at the ready to help you enjoy your holiday meals to their fullest.
- Don’t skip meals to prepare for a big holiday meal. Doing so can lead to uncontrolled overeating at the main event; instead balance your regular meals and fuel your body as you would normally throughout the day so you’re more equipped to make good choices.
- Know ahead of time what foods you’re most looking forward to indulging on, and the ones you can skip. Prepare a healthy side dish for yourself if you think you’ll need one. You can stay on “track” without “tracking” by making a balanced plate and being mindful!
- Don’t forget to keep moving! Practice movement before and after the big meal. By staying active, you’ll be able to digest better and keep non-exercise activity thermogenesis up.
- As always, stay hydrated! You should aim to drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water per day.
- Color your plate to balance your plate! At least ½ a plate of different veggies is a great way to do so.
- Resume your regularly scheduled eating (and exercise routine) after the holiday meal. Don’t feel the need to overcompensate or feel guilty. As long as you’re smart, you have nothing to fear!