Studies emphasize how important nutrition is for cognitive function. Nutritious food helps our bodies to think, focus, remember and make important decisions. Nutrients that support the brain’s function are:
- Omega-3 fats; which include fatty fish; such as tuna, salmon, halibut & cod, also plant-based fats; such as walnuts, flaxseeds and chia seeds.
- Antioxidants; which include berries, tomatoes, beets, avocados & green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin B; which include peas, nuts, whole grain breads, seafood, poultry, eggs, legumes liver, fortified breakfast cereals & nutritional yeast.
- Vitamin E; which include wheat germ, sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts, beets, pumpkin & red bell peppers.
- Iron; such as spinach, lentils, tofu, dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds, eggs, broccoli, raisins, quinoa, chickpeas & cashews.
- Zinc; such as lamb, chicken, yogurt, pumpkin seeds, milk, almonds & oatmeal.
- Magnesium; such as spinach, dark chocolate, avocados, pumpkin seeds, almonds, bananas, tofu, brown rice & beans.
Foods that hinder our brain’s ability to function properly are: